To sell an inventory item the following steps are required:
- Create a Sales Order,
- Ship items against the Sales Order,
- Invoice for the shipped items.
Creating a Sales Order
Sales Order Header InformationTo create a Sales Order:
- Click on the User Screen hyperlink on the top navigation bar.
- Click on the Sales Orders hyperlink on the side navigation bar under the heading "Orders".
- Click the New Sales Order hyperlink.
- Enter the information that describes the Sales Order. This will include:
- The Order Date (required)
- The Customer Name (required)
- The Internal Reference Number (optional) (The number your company uses to track Sales Orders. This number might come from your existing method of tracking Sales Orders. If you don't already have a method, then it is recommended that you use VersAccounts' automatically generated Sales Order Numbers.)
- Customer Purchase Order Number (optional)
- The Payment Terms (required) This is automatically selected based on the Customer's profile. You can change it if you like. (required)
- The Currency of the Sales Order and the multiplier to be used to convert it to your base currency. For instance, if the Sales Order currency is US dollars and one US Dollar buys 1.07319 Canadian Dollars, then the multiplier should be 0.9318. (1 / 0.9318)
- A comment or message that you would like to appear on the Order Confirmation when printed. (optional)
Now, you can begin entering line items on the Sales Order.
Sales Order Ship-To AddressIn most cases, the Sales Order's Ship-To address will be the same as your Customer Bill-To address. However, you may specify any Ship-To address you have previously defined for that customer.
To assign a Ship-To address:
- Click the Change Ship-To Address hyperlink.
- Click the Ship to This Address button above the address of your preferred destination.
- Click the Return to Order Editing at the bottom of the page.
Sales Order Line ItemsTo enter a line item:
- Select a Product or Service from the drop-down list.
- If you have previously set pricing policies for the selected item, then the pricing fields will automatically populate.
- Enter the Quantity, Measurement Units, and Per-Unit Cost of the item.
- In the Note A and Note B fields, enter any additional information you wish to include on all documents related to the Sales Order. (Related documents include Order Confirmations, Packing Lists, and Invoices.)
- Select the taxes you wish to include on the line item.
- Select the anticipated delivery date for the item.
- If you wish the item to be included on a previously defined Project, then select the project from the drop-down list.
- Click Add Line Item
When all of the line items have been entered, you leave the Edit Sales Order screen by clicking Done at the bottom of the page.
Shipping Against a Sales OrderAll shipped products, whether they are inventoried or non-inventoried products, must be entered as line items on a Sales Order. (See above section.) VersAccounts' shipping capabilities are very flexible. They allow you to:
- Create shipments with multiple packages.
- Create Packing Lists for each of the packages in a shipment, and
- Break shipped quantities of a single Sales Order line item across packages